Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.0: How to apply-templates while copying the content of a template parameter?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 1.0: How to apply-templates while copying the content of a template parameter?
From: Martin Honnen <Martin.Honnen@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:11:05 +0200

Alain Gilbert wrote:

I have the simplified stylesheet that follows this message. I have a problem with the usage of the "addInlineText" template which simply tries to copy the nodes defined at the call site. It is also important to apply-template on the copied nodes to further apply transformations defined elsewhere.

Xalan fails to process the template and seems to fail to build a node-set for the for-each instruction. I get this error:
  SystemID: print.xsl; Line#: 9; Column#: 33
  org.apache.xpath.XPathException: Can not convert #RTREEFRAG to a NodeList!

The error tells you that you have a result tree fragment that needs to be converted into a node-set. With the result tree fragment you can only do xsl:copy-of or xsl:value-of.

You can use the exsl:node-set function for converting the result tree fragment into a node-set:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" version="1.0" exclude-result-prefixes="html">

Add
xmlns:exsl="http://exslt.org/common"
here on the xsl:stylesheet element. And then you will probably want to list the prefix exsl in the exclude-result-prefixes attribute as well.

<xsl:template name="addInlineText">
  <xsl:param name="value" />
  <xsl:for-each select="$value" >

I think here you need <xsl:for-each select="exsl:node-set($value)"> then you should no longer get the error you described above.

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/