Re: [xsl] Where is XSLT 2.0 support in PHP?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Where is XSLT 2.0 support in PHP?
From: Michael Ludwig <milu71@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 03:54:29 +0200

Jonathan Rosen schrieb am 27.07.2009 um 18:15:46 (-0700):
> I have been building a project in PHP with XSLT, and am pretty
> disappointed with the lack of a workable XSLT 2.0 solution.

Hi Jonathan,

no XSLT 2.0 support is advertised for PHP, as far as I know. The usual
(and perfectly respectable) choice for PHP is LibXSLT, which is 1.0, may
have some quirks, but works fine in general.

> AltovaXML COM interface on Windows [...] Windows only solution.

> The alternatives to this solution on Linux involve using a
> PHP/Javabridge to Saxon. [...] nightmare

Sorry to hear that. You might want to try Caucho's Quercus, which is a
PHP interpreter coded in Java. It is not complete, but it runs apps such
as Drupal and Wordpress. You can use it with Resin, Tomcat, Jetty etc.
Note that the advertised performance boost is for the commercial version
of Resin.

http://www.caucho.com/

> I know this question has probably been asked before. However, now that
> there are stable and functional XSLT processors on the market, when
> are we going to get one that can be loaded directly into php, a la
> lib-xslt for xslt 1.0? The person who coded the solution I linked to
> above was in high school when he wrote the code. There must be the
> talent out there somewhere to make this happen? Why has none of it
> been directed at supporting this standard?

I wouldn't even dare to think of implementing only 1% of such a beast.
Respect to those who've undertaken it. Personally, why haven't you
directed your talent at supporting this standard? :-)

If you're really interested in this issue, you could ask on the LibXSLT
list, A while ago (several months, maybe a year) there was a discussion
on how LibXSLT could be updated to 2.0. I don't know what has become of
it so far.

> I look forward to your thoughts, and hopefully some actionable steps
> on how we can put together the resources to make this happen in PHP.

In order to work for PHP (Perl, Python, Ruby), this would have to happen
in C or C++. Certainly no small feat.

> I myself do not have the programming expertise to make this happen
> myself, but would be happy to spearhead an effort to put together the
> talent and resources to make it happen.

Sounds like a so-called "project manager" :-)

Anyway, good luck with your efforts.

Michael Ludwig