Re: [xsl] Want to print elements/attrib specified by an XPath that is passed as a param

Subject: Re: [xsl] Want to print elements/attrib specified by an XPath that is passed as a param
From: ac <ac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 00:10:29 -0400

Hi,

Florent: I will track EXPATH and contribute if I can.

Michael: This sounds great, more formal (clean), and powerful, probably supporting schema control over the variables (?), and encapsulating instruction use in a function should also be relatively simple and natural. Other instruction attributes could also be added and prove useful.

Thank you.
Cheers,
ac

Let's make sure that "eval" (or similar) is included in the
next XSLT
revision.
This would be useful indeed. Maybe a good way to improve our chances to see it in a further revision is to write a formal specification and implement it in several processors. You are more than welcome to join EXPath <http://www.expath.org/> and propose something.

The key point, I think, is to define it precisely regarding the static and dynamic contexts.

We're working on a specification for XSLT 2.1. The key insight was that you can give much more control over the static and dynamic context if you make it an instruction rather than a function; for example you can use child <with-param> elements to bind variables referenced in the dynamic expression.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay