Re: [xsl] how to limit number of items shown

Subject: Re: [xsl] how to limit number of items shown
From: Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 21:38:55 +0530

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Dmitri Snytkine <d.snytkine@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I was going to try the for-each loop looping over all items
> and then inside the loop have the <xsl:if test="(position() &lt < 11)">
>
> But I just was not sure if that is the best way to implement the limit of
items.

you can do like this. xsl:for-each select="item[position() ...] and
xsl:if as you have mentioned would produce the same result.

I would prefer item[position() ...] as it looks more cleaner, and
perhaps more efficient (am not sure..?)

> Yes, the for-each is real foreach loop, I mean the XSL does not have a
> real 'for' loop like this:
>
> B for(i = 0; i<=10; i++){
>
> }

XSLT doesn't have notion of variables changing the states. So
something like above will not work with XSLT.

you can use patterns like tem[position() ...] or perhaps use recursion
sometimes, to iterate specific number of times.

Mukul Gandhi