RE: Re: [xsl] Replace function with <> characters?

Subject: RE: Re: [xsl] Replace function with <> characters?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:34:45 -0000

> Thanks - My input is actually something like:

> So it should be valid XML, but I need to transform the
> <>-characters of the z-tag (only the z-tag) to "& l t ;" and
> "& g t ;" so what the browser sees in the end is:
>
> <x>  & l t ;z & g t ; 3 & l t ; / z & g t ; </x>
>
> The reason I need to do this is that z-tag is actually to be
> passed as a string to javascript function which will generate
> html for a tooltip where the z-tag then again should be
> showing with <>.
>
> Do I make myself clear :)

Yes, I was beginning to suspect this was your misunderstanding.

XSLT does not see the markup in your lexical XML. It sees a tree of nodes.
There are no angle brackets in any of the nodes. Your sample (ignoring the
whitespace) will create a tree of four nodes:

* an unnamed document node

* an element named x

* an element named z

* a text node whose string-value is "3".

One way of achieving what you want is to use saxon:serialize:

<xsl:template match="x">
  <x>
    <xsl:value-of select="saxon:serialize(z)"/>
  </x>
</xsl:template>

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/