[xsl] browser text output - works in FF, but not in Safari and Opera

Subject: [xsl] browser text output - works in FF, but not in Safari and Opera
From: Robert Koberg <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:17:43 -0500

Hi,

test page:
http://koberg.com/test-browser-xsl/test-transform.html
download test files:
http://koberg.com/test-browser-xsl.zip

Does anyone have any familiarity with browser transformations that have xsl:output method="text"? (actually a JSON string)

The transform works for me in Firefox (3.0.4), but not in Safari (3.2) or Opera (9.61). It also works with all processors that oXygen makes available to me on OSX. (don't have a windows machine handy...)

I am using Sarissa and the transformToFragment method of the XSLTProcessor object. I have tried transformToDocument which also does not work in Safari or Opera. It does give a result in FF, but wraps it in a (transformix) root element.

For transformToFragment, I am passing the HTML page's document object as the second argument (the owner document), though the comments in the code say:

"The xsl:output method must match the nature of the owner document (XML/HTML)."

How do you do that with text? In addition to the HTML Document as the parent, I have also tried by passing an XML Documen (created via 'var parentDoc = Sarissa.getDomDocument();'). This doe snot work either.

Anyone able to do this and if so how? (could have sworn I have done this before...)

best,
-Rob