RE: [xsl] count following-sibling node()

Subject: RE: [xsl] count following-sibling node()
From: Vasu Chakkera <vasucv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 17:50:12 +0000

Calling node() is not the same as calling the Element itself
Node in Xpath means:
element, attribute, text, namespace, processing-instruction, comment, and
document (root) nodes.

This is the tricky bit you should be careful about when you are using the
position() function or calculating the following sibling etc..

Your logic will if there are other elements , or text nodes etc..

the easiest way to explain your problem is to introduce another element after
your sixth EVENT , call it

  will call ONLY EVENT nodes
 WILL CALL even the NEW-EVENT nodes

This is easy identification of problem.

 It gets tricky when there are invisible nodes like the text nodes.
  will call ONLY EVENT nodes
 WILL CALL *ALL* the nodes including the invisible text nodes.

Its really not *invisible* text nodes for a pair of eyes seeing XML for a long
time. But it could be confusing!!

I think this is where you got confused.

 HTH

Vasu Chakkera
Numerical Algorithms Group.
Oxford
www.vasucv.com

> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:57:24 -0700
> From: kstubs@xxxxxxxxx
> To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [xsl] count following-sibling node()
>
> Assuming the context is:
> EVENT[6]
> And there are 10 EVENT elements.
>
> Why am I getting different results for the following counts:
>

> Assume the following XML:

Register once and play all contests. Increase your scores with bonus credits
for logging in daily on MSN.
http://specials.msn.co.in/msncontest/index.aspx