Re: [xsl] zero width no-break space to prevent tag minimisation

Subject: Re: [xsl] zero width no-break space to prevent tag minimisation
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:56:19 -0400

At 2008-10-16 16:17 +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
     Andrew> I don't think it's a bug... as far as I understand, IE
    Andrew> will always use its SGML parser regardless of whether its
    Andrew> parsing html or xhtml, and because of that <div/> is

This isn't strictly true if you do the right thing and send xhtml with an xhtml or xml mime type IE does use its XML parser. It just doesn't render the result the way you expect by default, it renders it as a folding xml source tree.

The following instance renders correctly in Mozilla and Opera but the underscore bleeds in Internet Explorer from the empty div to the end of the page ... note that a global search and replace of "< " to "<" must be done first as I wanted to avoid mailer problems:

< ?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
< !DOCTYPE html
 PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
< html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
< head>
 < title>test< /title>
 < meta http-equiv=
       "Content-type" content='text/html; charset="utf-8"' />
< /head>
< body>
< div>Div is normal< /div>
< div style="font-style:italic">Div is italic< /div>
< div style="text-decoration:underline" />
< div>No underline< /div>
< div style="font-weight:bold">< /div>
< div>No underline or bold< /div>
< /body>
< /html>

Is this not a browser problem?

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses:      Wellington, NZ 2009-01
Video sample lesson:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrNjJCh7Ppg