RE: [xsl] Content negotiation in XSLT

Subject: RE: [xsl] Content negotiation in XSLT
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:36:17 +0100

> Can XSLT 2.0 do content negotiation?  Looking at the Linking
> Open Data work, it seems to me that it would be useful if
> XSLT processors could specify in the document() function that
> what they want is, for example, application/rdf+xml.  Then
> they could be served the RDF version of a Semantic Web
> resource, rather than the HTML "human-readable" version.

The specification very carefully avoids saying anything about how the
processor takes a URI and fetches a resource. It's completely
processor-dependent. Many XSLT processors provide basic facilities within
the product, and allow callbacks to user-provided hooks (URIResolver in
JAXP) if you want to do anything more elaborate.

You're welcome to use query parameters on the URI if you want to pass extra
information about what's required.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/