Re: [xsl] Re: Sort XML based on Tokenized String of sort by field

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Sort XML based on Tokenized String of sort by field
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:33:13 +0100

	<xsl:variable name="NEW_STYLESHEET"
	   <xsl:element name="xsl:transform">
	   </xsl:element>
	</xsl:variable>

That was the right thing.
But note you have not put the generated code in a variable tag, you put
it in a variable (which is marked up using two tags) don't use tag to
mean variable, we will pretend to be confused by it on principle, and
sometimes we really are confused by it...

	<xsl:value-of select="$NEW_STYLESHEET"/>

That was the wrong thing, value-of gives the string value of the node,
which is just the character data ignoring elements/attributes, so for a
stylesheet that may easily be just white space.

use copy-of if you want to see what's in the variable

to use it it's a two stage ptocess, first compile it

<xsl:variable name="compiled"
select="saxon:compile-stylesheet($NEW_STYLESHEET)"/>

you can't look at that it's just a saxon-specific object.

but you can use it

<xsl:sequence
select="saxon:transform($compiled,doc('some-source.xml'))"/>

David