Re: [xsl] Re: Output validation with XSLT 2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Output validation with XSLT 2.0
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 10:04:25 +0100

2008/5/6 Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@xxxxxxxxx>:
>  From the end user's point of view, I think having xs: generated in the
>  output tree, when it won't be used anywhere, is probably not a good
>  design.

ok...

>  As suggested by Ken, while the tree is being constructed, some parts
>  of it may be serialized without even the whole of the tree being
>  formed in memory. This theory makes me feel, the XSLT 2.0 spec is
>  correct in the current form (as regards to the point we are
>  discussing).

...but that contradicts what you've said above - the reason namespaces
are generated in the output tree even though they aren't used is to
allow serialization to begin before the entire output tree is known.
It's the very reason why you get the same namespace appearing hundreds
of times throughout the result rather than just once at the root of
the tree.

?

>  The WG already has had years of discussions finalizing this decision,
>  and potential implementers agree to this, so I think it should be
>  fine.

Indeed, I'm not proposing any changes, it's no big deal - just
pointing out (or perhaps looking for confirmation) that the xml schema
namespace could easily have been excluded by default.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com