Re: [xsl] New SourceForge Project: Doxsl - A Documentation Generator for XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] New SourceForge Project: Doxsl - A Documentation Generator for XSLT
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 21:50:54 +0200

At 2008-04-03 12:39 -0600, Jim Earley wrote:
My apologies if this is a repeat post (my other mail client seems to
be having issues):

At any rate:

I've created a new SourceForge project called Doxsl
(http://doxsl.sourceforge.net) that generates documentation for XSLT
stylesheets, much like javadoc or Perl POD docs. However, unlike
these, Doxsl supports generating docs into DITA and HTML (DocBook is
coming in the near future).

I've posted the first release (1.0.1 RC-1).  I welcome all feedback
and suggestions for making Doxsl useful.

You may find some techniques that I use in XSLStyle (today it is the top Google link using that term; or you can find it in the free resources section of our web site linked below) appropriate to your project. This is an XSLT stylesheet documentation methodology, much like javadoc, that I first announced in 2004. The current release supports either DocBook or DITA. It is freely downloaded from our web site. The name derives from the fact that it is a stylesheet for stylesheets.

XSLStyle includes a complete report of the import/include tree and an alphabetized index of all globally-named constructs declared in all modules. By dragging and dropping an apex XSLT stylesheet with an embedded stylesheet association processing instruction, the HTML report of the DITA or DocBook constructs is fully rendered for the entire suite of fragments in the import/include tree. Attributes characterize those globally named constructs that are expected to be available for customization by a wrapping stylesheet, from those named constructs that are expected to be for "internal" use only by the stylesheet library.

My customers have found such documentation valuable in supporting the deliveries I make of stylesheet libraries that contain many fragments.

The design provides for any other vocabulary to be added to XSLStyle to be a choice in the documentation constructs used within the XSLStyle framework.

I hope this helps.

-- Upcoming: UBL Apr.22,24; genericode code lists Apr.23; Rome,Italy World-wide corporate, govt. & user group XML, XSL and UBL training RSS feeds: publicly-available developer resources and training G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995) Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07 http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal