RE: [xsl] XPath 2.0 Best Practice: wrap the first node of every path expression within schema-element?

Subject: RE: [xsl] XPath 2.0 Best Practice: wrap the first node of every path expression within schema-element?
From: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:50:33 -0400

David Carlisle wrote:

> That seems a fairly harsh statement given that there is absolutely
nothing
> in the XSLT specification that suggests that a warning should be
raised
> for this expression.

> It may be that you think that the expression should be in error, but
in
> that case your complaint should be with the XSLT Working Group who
> specified it

Thanks David.  You're right.  Okay, I just sent the below message to
public-qt-comments@xxxxxx

[XPath] Request XPath implementations be required to do some static
type checking on the schema-element function

Hi Folks,

I would like to request a small change to the XPath 2.0 specification.

I would like to request that XPath implementations be required to
generate an error or warning message for expressions like this:

    schema-element(Book)/Foo

where Foo is not a valid child of Book, according to the in-scope
schema.

Further, implementations be required to generate an error or warning
message for expressions like this:

   schema-element(Book)/Author/FirstNam

where, according to the in-scope schema, Author is a valid child of
Book but FirstNam (note that I misspelled Name) is not.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

  -- Roger L. Costello