Re: [xsl] XPath 2.0 Best Practice: wrap the first node of every path expression within schema-element?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath 2.0 Best Practice: wrap the first node of every path expression within schema-element?
From: Martin Honnen <Martin.Honnen@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 17:35:16 +0100

Costello, Roger L. wrote:

Here I wrap the first node in the path expression within
schema-element:

/schema-element(Book)/Author/LastName

The benefits of doing this are:

1. At compile-time the processor will validate the Book input element.

2. At compile-time the processor will detect errors in the path
expression:

2.1 Misspelling errors: these spelling errors are caught:

/schema-element(Book)/Authr/LastName (Author is misspelled)
/schema-element(Book)/Author/LastNam (LastName is misspelled)

2.2 Structural errors: suppose the in-scope schema indicates that
the only children of Author are FirstName and LastName; this error will be caught:

       /schema-element(Book)/Author/Foo  (Foo is not a valid child of
Author)

Is that something that the XSLT/XPath specification requires that these problems are reported as errors? I don't think AltovaXML does report such problems although it is a schema aware XSLT 2.0 processor.

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/