Re: [xsl] Request help in understanding: node instance of schema-element(node)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Request help in understanding: node instance of schema-element(node)
From: "Anthony B. Coates (XSL-List)" <abcoatesecure-xsllist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:06:59 -0000

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:59:43 -0000, Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In my experience, schemas (of whatever variety) have been used for two purposes, which have historically been joined at the hip, but which are actually quite distinct.

One is "validation", which is to say, determine whether a document or parts of a document conform to an expected or required type. ("Schema as gauge.")

The other is for type annotation or even for binding of XML data (which natively takes the form of sequences of characters) to data types. ("Schema as jig.")

I would also add to that "Schema as template", where a Schema is used to provide guidance to an author (especially when using a Schema-aware editor). For example, you may not care about document order for validation or binding, but you might impose an order for authoring, just because human editors often work better with a "template" where each data item is in a known location relative to other data items.

Cheers, Tony.
--
Anthony B. Coates
Senior Partner