Re: [xsl] manage errors and terminations, child thread of Re: [saxon] Too many attribute value templates? ++

Subject: Re: [xsl] manage errors and terminations, child thread of Re: [saxon] Too many attribute value templates? ++
From: ac <ac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 18:25:49 -0500

Hi Michael,

In our implementation, the pipeline channels XML streams to the applications and as well, the main default result-document stream from the application(s) is received and processed by the easily configured pipeline content handlers. An error object is just part of the output stream, by default, without requiring any special function.

Although we do not use it, I certainly would not recommend removing it from the language. As a matter of fact, this discussion started on trying to evolve error() (and @terminate) and I even proposed an additional optional attribute to select a closure function to execute before shutting down.

Still, I have to admit that I cannot yet see clearly how error() (and xsl:message @terminate) can pass an error object back to the pipeline as xsl:message only outputs a string and error() is limited to a qname.

The other question that comes to my mind, is: if order of execution is "unpredictable", how would one prevent shutdown from happening before the error object is ready? If logic and conditions can help here for the error object, they could also for application level closures, it seems. Isn't building an error object and passing it to the pipeline, a form of closure for the application?

Architecturally, it seems that a fundamental issue is the "layer split": what should be handled by the application and what should be handled by the pipeline?

Thanks.
Cheers,
ac

Michael Kay a icrit :
Without understanding all the details of your architecture - which looks
carefully thought out - I would have thought that the right kind of approach
is for the stylesheet, on detectable error conditions, to construct an
<error/> object of some kind, and throw this object back to the pipeline
layer by calling the error() function. Equivalently, you could construct the
<error/> object as the content of an xsl:message.  If this contains
information that needs to be sent to users, to a security log, or to other
applications, then the pipeline layer is in a better position to do this
than the XSLT code itself. The XSLT code can put as much information as it
likes in the <error/> object to steer this process.

That's how I would tackle it, anyway.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/