RE: [xsl] Document function isn't realoding document.

Subject: RE: [xsl] Document function isn't realoding document.
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:42:03 -0000

> I have very big problem with my XSLT transformation... I'm
> using Xalan, stylesheet is version 1.0. At some point of the
> transformation stylesheet reads value which is needed later
> in transformation. To avoid passing this variable through all
> apply-templates and using parameters in xsl:template I use
> xalan:redirect extension - simply write to file value of
> interesting element making with it XML document
> (<myValue>readed value</myValue>) and then I read that file with
> document(myFile) function.

> The problem is when I change that
> file with consequents invoking of redirect:write instructions
> and read them again using processor doesn't see changes in
> that document - value of <myValue> is still the same as at
> the first time!

XSLT 1.0 requires that when you call document() twice with the same URI, the
two documents are identical. Most implementations are likely to achieve this
by caching the document.

xalan:redirect is of course an extension, so it can do anything it likes.
But with the XSLT 2.0 equivalent, xsl:result-document, you are explicitly
banned from trying to write a document and then reread it "later" in the
same transformation. The reason is that XSLT is not procedural so there is
no concept of "later". You are trying to avoid using XSLT the way it is
designed to be used, so it is not surprising that you have a big problem.

XSLT 2.0 has tunnel parameters which avoid the problem of passing parameters
through many layers of intermediate templates.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/