Re: [xsl] variable outside a for-each loop: second try

Subject: Re: [xsl] variable outside a for-each loop: second try
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 10:14:24 +0100

> But I still do not understand why I need to live on the edge to do
> something that seems pretty simple
> ..
> The latest release is 6.5.x. Which means that most people manage
> -somehow- to live with XSLT 1.x, right ?

I would think most saxon usage is saxon 8 by now but most xslt usage in
general is xslt1 (as most X xslt engines are still at that level.)
If people ask for an xslt 1 solution on this list that's what they are
given (mostly) but if you ask for an xslt2 solution (as you did
effectively by including some xslt 2 features in the example code)
then you can nit be surprised if people give you solutions that conform
to the XSLT 2 specification.  Conversely it's not surprisising that the
implementation that you are using, which predates the XSLT 2 specification
by some years, does not fully conform to the finalised version of XSLT
2.

It is of course possible to solve the problem using whichever working
draft of XSLT2 is implemented in saxon 8.0, but you can't expect people
to remember all the small syntactic changes that were made at each draft
revision. Given that saxon 8.9 is free open source code there's no
reason to be using 8.0.

David