Re: [xsl] Understanding why is the way it is (was Re: [xsl] IE Client side transformation issue)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Understanding why <tag></tag> is the way it is (was Re: [xsl] IE Client side transformation issue)
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 15:39:12 -0400

At 2007-08-03 20:37 +0200, you wrote:
On 03/08/07, G. Ken Holman <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 2007-08-03 19:19 +0200, Manfred Staudinger wrote:
> >On 03/08/07, Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > There is a cdata-section-elements on xsl:output, but not a
> > > never-minimize-elements attribute or something similar.
> >There is no need for such an attribute, because MSXML3 handles
> >the two cases differently. If you specify in your stylesheet
> >(invalid html)
> >but
> >in the output.
> >
> >Note that there is _no_ need to using nbsp or xsl:comment to ensure
> >valid html !
>
> I disagree with your summary above based on my own experiences that
> when using the HTML serialization with MSXML and other tools. The
> distinction you make is for XML serialization, not for HTML
> serialization.
Speaking only about serialization with MSXML this holds for both xsl:output
methods, XML and HTML. Why do you think its different for HTML?

Because I demonstrated it in the earlier email ... copied below ... look at the end result ... manfred1.xsl uses method="html" and manfred2.xsl uses method="xml" and the serialization by MSXML is demonstratively different.

Why do you think the serialization by MSXML of the two is the same?

. . . . . . . . . . . Ken

t:\ftemp>type manfred.xsl
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII"?>
                version="1.0">

<xsl:output method="html"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>
t:\ftemp>xslt-msxsl manfred.xsl manfred.xsl con

t:\ftemp>xslt-saxon manfred.xsl manfred.xsl con
t:\ftemp>type manfred2.xsl
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII"?>
                version="1.0">

<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>
t:\ftemp>xslt-msxsl manfred2.xsl manfred2.xsl con
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>

t:\ftemp>xslt-saxon manfred2.xsl manfred2.xsl con
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
t:\ftemp>

--
Upcoming public training: XSLT/XSL-FO Sep 10, UBL/code lists Oct 1
Male Cancer Awareness Jul'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc