Re: [xsl] Continued Table Headers [fo:marker and fo:retrieve-marker]

Subject: Re: [xsl] Continued Table Headers [fo:marker and fo:retrieve-marker]
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 20:13:16 -0400

At 2007-05-15 16:36 -0700, Horace Burke wrote:
I am not sure of the reason why no one responded to my post. May be I am
writing something that tell you experts to stay away.

I know the reason I didn't respond was that the example given was not an example I could work with and test: you fragmented a stylesheet rather than giving an instance of XSL-FO that illustrated the problem. A stylesheet fragment isn't very useful since you don't give any test data and a volunteer would have to write all of the framework around your fragment.

Personally, I resolve XSL-FO problems by authoring the FO needed to trigger the issue that I am having, and then analyzing the specification to see what is right and wrong with the XSL-FO that I think I need.

If you can write the FO you need and the FO works, then that indicates your problem is with your XSLT and not with your FO. You haven't equipped anyone to work with your XSLT, and even doing so adds work to the volunteer.

I know some of my FO students were unaware coming to class that there are zero dependencies by XSL-FO on XSLT and that one can write and debug a standalone XSL-FO instance in order to comprehend and exercise FO constructs long before having to write a stylesheet that creates similar constructs.

Is there any solution or work around in XSL-FO 1.0 for this? XSL-FO 1.1
has "Table Markers" in section 6.13.1.1.2, but I am using Arbortext E3 and
Epic Editor 5.1 (uses Saxon 6.5.2) and it does have any implementation for
XSL-FO 1.1. Hence, the reason for error messages and processing stops.

It is good that you are now indicating the software you are running ... if you had an XSL-FO instance (not a stylesheet) that triggers the problem in the ATI tools then volunteers on this list would have the opportunity to run your code in other engines and relate their experiences: perhaps the problem is in the software and not in your choice of XSL-FO constructs.

Please, please let me know if there is any hope here.

I cannot take the time to decipher your stylesheet ... if you post a working standalone XSL-FO instance illustrating your issue then it will be a lot easier for volunteers to help you with your problem.

I hope you find this feedback helpful.

-- Upcoming hands-on training(Europe 2007): XSL-FO Jun 11; UBL Oct 01 World-wide corporate, govt. & user group XML, XSL and UBL training RSS feeds: publicly-available developer resources and training G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995) Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05 http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal