Re: [xsl] I need to make sure that all namespace declarations get output to a particular element, not the document element

Subject: Re: [xsl] I need to make sure that all namespace declarations get output to a particular element, not the document element
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:18:18 +0100

G. Ken Holman wrote:

I didn't want to belabour the point, but I did want to clarify something for readers of the archive.

<snip />

I think this extra level of control is nice and will help the OP.

It isn't extra ... it is what is expected from the use of exclude-result-prefixes.

<snip />

My only objective in adding this comment is to underscore for archive readers the behaviour cited is not Saxon-specific but is a direct consequence of the directives added by the stylesheet writer and is what I would expect for all XSLT processors.

Thanks Ken & David,

Somehow I got the feeling that I meant about the same as you, and I am glad to know it is the specs that mandate this behavior, and not Saxon. Sorry for the confusion.

The OP requested (if I understood correctly) that he needed the declaration of the namespace on one certain element precisely, namely, _before_ it'd be actually used. To do so, David pointed out that the OP could use a new declaration with other prefixes. I pointed out that you could remove the declarations from the xsl:stylesheet element and put them on the elements where you need it instead (I had to look up the word "prune", English is not my native tongue, but I think I meant about the same in my own jibberish ;). I don't think this latter approach is a good approach at all, but it does the job.

All in all, I now have a much better understanding of 'exclude-result-prefixes', of which my little knowledge just said 'it removes the declarations when they are not needed (yet)'. Close enough, but you two (Ken, David) make the whole process much more understandable. I hope I didn't misguide the archive readers too much ;)

Cheers,
-- Abel