Re: [xsl] Using xsl:sort to sort negative values

Subject: Re: [xsl] Using xsl:sort to sort negative values
From: "Sola Awe" <sodana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 03:57:10 +0000

Hi all,
Thanks for the reply. I actually got this resolved. I really appreciate your help.
I made a mistake in my code.
Thanks,
Sola

From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:09:46 +0100

Hi Sola,

You didn't show your full code and you didn't tell what processor you are using and what XSLT version. If you specifiy "number" for the data-type, then the content is converted to a numeric value. This includes the minus sign.

Note that your data is illegal XML as where legal XML it is not allowed to have any element starting with xml, XML or any combination of case, see http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#IDAKKFS. However, most XML processors dig it anyway ;)

I tried the following stylesheet and ran it with Saxon 8. It gives the result you want:

<xsl:output indent="yes" />
<xsl:template match="/xml">
<xsl:apply-templates select="data">
<xsl:sort select="." data-type="number" />
</xsl:apply-templates>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="data">
<xsl:text>
</xsl:text>
       <xsl:value-of select="text()"/>
   </xsl:template>
  </xsl:stylesheet>

If this does not work with your processor, it is likely a bug.

Good luck with it,

Cheers,
-- Abel

Sola Awe wrote:
Hi,
  Can anyone tell why the code below will not work?

<xsl:sort select="data" data-type="number"/>

I am trying to sort numeric data that contains negative values but the order seems to be wrong

<xml>
<data>22</data>
<data>2</data>
<data>-5</data>