[xsl] Dynamic, configurable transformations / was: Re: Wrap changing element sequence into container: with 'for-each-group'?

Subject: [xsl] Dynamic, configurable transformations / was: Re: Wrap changing element sequence into container: with 'for-each-group'?
From: Yves Forkl <Y.Forkl@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:39:12 +0100

David Carlisle wrote:
I prefer to call, for each "p", a named template acting [...]

why? (If you are not careful you end up trying to implement the xslt matching process in xslt which is a big job and unlikely to be efficient)

Well, that's almost what I had in mind. :-) No, seriously: I'm trying to make the transformation of my "p" elements kind of configurable, by importing the style sheet which contains the generic "p" template into application-specific style sheets.

This is why I want to keep the "p" template free of instructions that are specific to one type of interpretation of the style attributes. [BTW: Had forgotten the '@' everywhere in my previous post.]

My idea was to define an XML language that would describe the desired transformation for each p style, and to retrieve the transformation rules specified as XML from inside the application-specific style sheet that just imports the module with the unmodified "p" template.

I fear this might all just be a crazy idea... Which way would go to make XSLT dynamic in the sense of parametrizing transformations like this?

Would you consider it a better idea to dynamically generate an application-specific style sheet containing classical push style templates, in my case stuff like match="p[@style='value1'] ? That would at least allow me to group adjacent siblings into a common container, I suppose.

Yves