RE: [xsl] Managing cross references when combining XML files into one document

Subject: RE: [xsl] Managing cross references when combining XML files into one document
From: "Trevor Nicholls" <trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:41:22 +1300

Hi

Thanks to those whose holidays still permitted them to respond to my plea.

Eric:
The merged document exists solely for editing so that e.g. global
replacements can be carried out on all logically connected documents, and so
that an editor can restructure and cross-reference the material by editing a
single file before saving it in its constituent parts. The lowest-level
documents are going to be deployed individually after other processing (XSL
and otherwise) that is already functional and in place. Framemaker is being
used partly because most of the users are already familiar with it and also
because it gives us a headstart into print formatting if we need to go that
route. As Wendell pointed out, pipelining is not doable in XSL 1.0, which is
all I have.

Wendell:
I don't believe I can use the extension you mention.

Robert:
Yes, Framemaker limits us to (a maximum of) one stylesheet on load and one
on save. The source files are local. There are multiple users, but we are
operating under a source-control system, so any conflicts will be identified
at check in if not before. Potential circular references - yes, thank you
for reminding me that I need to defend against this possibility!

Your idea of a lookup document looks like the most promising approach - I
had forgotten that I can call templates to process the input XML more than
once! So, rather like generating a TOC at the front of an output document, I
should be able to write out an XML index of included documents and then use
that for testing the link srcfiles in the main processing phase. If I
structure that index sensibly it may well be useful for other parts of the
application too.

Any problems and I'll be back next year!

On which note I wish everybody health, happiness and satisfaction for 2007.

Cheers
Trevor