Re: [xsl] odf2xhtml: Processing nested element content seperatly ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] odf2xhtml: Processing nested element content seperatly ?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:47:53 +0100

> ODF has a different approach to lining out text than HTML. HTML is
> sensible: Within html:p there may be no other block-elements

That's not sensible it's crazy! It's also something finally fixed in the
drafts of xhtml2, where p is given a more reasonable content model.

div is essentially p with fixed content model, so often it makes more
sense to translate paragraphs in other formats (docbook, tei etc all
allow block level content in paragraphs) to html div rather than p.

> I would be very glad if someone would know of a solution, since right
> now, I make all a <div> and this is surley not, how HTML should be
> marked up.
It seems perfectly sensible to me, although the alternative is to group
the block elements and close and re-start the p's code to do that is
posted often enough (there was a thread last month if I recall)

The reason why most language formats (other than html) allow block level
constructs in paragraps is that most natural languages allow that.
If I say that
  a) it's reasonable to have a list mid sentence,
  b) it's reasonable to have a sentence mid paragraph, and so
  c) it's reasonable to have a list mid paragraph
then the natural way to mark up taht is as a list within a paragraph.

David