[xsl] status of FOP, Oct 2006

Subject: [xsl] status of FOP, Oct 2006
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:17:06 -0400

Hi,

Currently at Mulberry Technologies we are in the throes of upgrading our classroom installations for our XML and XSL classes.

In teaching, we commonly demonstrate a range of XML/XSL applications including commercial applications, but we also run exercises using freely available (open source) software on the Windows platform, both so students can get their hands dirty at the command line (always a good idea) and so they can see that yes, they can do this at home, and without spending big $$$.

(We'd love to be able to run our exercises on other platforms but most of our students already have too much to think about.)

Among such packages we have in the past included Apache FOP, since it falls into the free/open-source category and since it runs in Windows without much complicated setup (a plus for our students). This has been the "latest stable release", which is now at version 0.20.5.

But the version 0.92 beta release has been out for some time now, and is said by many to be simply better, not least by virtue of having more coverage of the FO specification.

Which should we install for our students to run from the command line, and why? Or should it be something entirely different, instead or in addition? (As I said, we also show them other tools including commercial tools, so they know that FOP != XSL.)

We'd be obliged for any ideas or informed opinions.

Cheers,
Wendell