RE: [xsl] Sum in conjunction with string splitting?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Sum in conjunction with string splitting?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 00:10:33 +0100

> > There should be a leading file:/// before the C:/XSLT/FXSL, I think.
>
> The fact is that this transformation is performed OK with
> MSXML4. I am not sure whether the URI as coded above is valid
> or invalid -- in fact the XSLT1.0 specification does not define that.

Microsoft software tends to accept a filename wherever a URI is mandated. In
fact Saxon on .NET does so, too, because it relies on classes on the .NET
platform that are specified as accepting URIs, but turn out also to accept
filenames.

I'm afraid when it comes to a choice between conforming to standards and
doing what they think is right, Microsoft tend to do what they think is
right. Sometimes this is helpful to users, sometimes it causes no end of
problems. I have an open mind on this particular one. The URI specs are such
a mess that one has sympathy with any implementor who tries to sort out the
shambles.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/