RE: [xsl] Using attributes with XPath

Subject: RE: [xsl] Using attributes with XPath
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:25:30 +0100

> 1. The axis concepts concerning XML elements (parent::*, child::*,
> etc.) is not the same between an element and its attributes.
> Thus for a beginner in XSLT, my comment about attributes
> stands.

Eh? You said an attribute has no parent. But if $x is an attribute, then
$x/parent::* gives you an element, whether you are a beginner in XSLT or
not. You don't help beginners by making statements that aren't true.

> You really think beginners are going to wade through all the
> techno-talk when working with a workflow they probably didn't
> even setup in the first place?

No, beginners aren't going to wade through it all. That's why it's very
important not to give them incorrect information.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/