Re: [xsl] amp symbols

Subject: Re: [xsl] amp symbols
From: "andrew welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 19:03:45 +0100

On 7/3/06, Chad Chelius <cchelius@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The vendor recommends a UTF-8 encoded file. So when I create an XML
file (before any XSLT is applied) I get just square boxes where those
math symbols and other items usually appear. I think this is why they
require the use of an entity. Does that make more sense or am I still
missing the point?

The square box means either the encoding the file is read in doesn't contain a mapping for the byte sequence that represents the character (maths symbol in this case), or the font doesn't contain a glyph for the character. In either case you will see a default fallback symbol, which in this case is a square box, so Im guessing its not contained in the font.

UTF-8 represents millions of characters and there is no one single
font that contains them all - you will need to use view the file using
a font that contains glyphs for the characters in the file.

cheers
andrew