Re: [xsl] Office 2007, XSL-FO, and the Adobe "Save as PDF" (non)native-support...

Subject: Re: [xsl] Office 2007, XSL-FO, and the Adobe "Save as PDF" (non)native-support...
From: Robert Koberg <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 17:22:45 -0400

ufff Tommie... you have eyes in the back of your head. We can't even be bad on the weekend :)

My point, which was perhaps not clearly made, is that people do not use PDF an an end result document format while keeping an XML source. It is the document. When people realize that it is not easy to change styling or even change an 'a' to a 'the' in a PDF they may want to convert to an XML format for *XSL* styling (something I am painfully aware of).

As for the available tools to convert XML source to PDF, they (the tools) are severely lacking (for lack of more accurate wording).

I understand this to be general knowledge rather than something that needs to be backed up. I would welcome actual facts that do away with the general knowledge/perception.

Mulberry Technologies List Owner wrote:
Friends --

Because some of the tools used to create PDF from XML use XSL, XSL-List is an appropriate place for a discussion of tools to convert XML to PDF, and even for a discussion of the value of such tools. I would prefer that the discussion stay related to XSL - so discussions of the relative merits of Word versus PDF (an odd contest, in my opinion, because they perform such different functions) does not belong on XSL-List.

If you want to continue this discussion here please:

  - stick to topics that are directly related to XSL
  - refrain from name-calling (either about people or products)
  - refrain from defensiveness

Saying that some product sucks, or that someone is self promoting,
contributes nothing of value to the discussion. Comparing apples and
oranges and disparaging one because it is not the other is
disingenuous and unattractive.

In other words: play nicely! Please.

-- Tommie