[xsl] Transforming Tables - repost

Subject: [xsl] Transforming Tables - repost
From: Jeff Sese <jsese@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:58:14 +0800

Good day!

I'm transforming a table xml into a InDesign tagged text table using XSLT 2.0 on Saxon and i'm having a problem when it comes to spanning. In InDesign tagged text a cell is constructed this way: <clStart:x,y>data<clEnd:>, x is the number of rows and y the number columns occupied by the cell. However, if the table has 5 columns then each row must have 5 cell entries as well regardless if there exist a cell the spans the rest of the column or a previous cell that spans the row position.

So if you have a table xml like this:
<row>
<cell col="1">Data</cell>
<cell col="2" colspan="3">Data</cell>
<cell col="5">Data</cell>
</row>
<row>
<cell col="1" rowspan="3">Data</cell>
<cell col="2">Data</cell>
<cell col="3">Data</cell>
<cell col="4">Data</cell>
<cell col="5">Data</cell>
</row>
<row>
<cell col="2" rowspan="2">Data</cell>
<cell col="3">Data</cell>
<cell col="4">Data</cell>
<cell col="5">Data</cell>
</row>
<row>
<cell col="3">Data</cell>
<cell col="4">Data</cell>
<cell col="5">Data</cell>
</row>

I should have a InDesign tagged text like this:
<tStart:4,12>
<rStart:>
<cStart:1,1>Data<cEnd:>
<cStart:1,3>Data<cEnd:>
<cStart:1,1><cEnd:>
<cStart:1,1><cEnd:>
<cStart:1,1>Data<cEnd:>
<rEnd:>
<rStart:>
<cStart:3,1>Data<cEnd:>
<cStart:1,1>Data<cEnd:>
<cStart:1,1>Data<cEnd:>
<cStart:1,1>Data<cEnd:>
<cStart:1,1>Data<cEnd:>
<rEnd:>
<rStart:>
<cStart:1,1><cEnd:>
<cStart:2,1>Data<cEnd:>
<cStart:1,1>Data<cEnd:>
<cStart:1,1>Data<cEnd:>
<cStart:1,1>Data<cEnd:>
</row>
<rEnd:>
<cStart:1,1><cEnd:>
<cStart:1,1><cEnd:>
<cStart:1,1>Data<cEnd:>
<cStart:1,1>Data<cEnd:>
<cStart:1,1>Data<cEnd:>
<rEnd:>
<tEnd:>

I can get my xslt to handle column spanning, but i'm having trouble with
rowspanning. Here is my template for the cell element:

<xsl:template match="cell">
<xsl:variable name="col" select="if (exists(@colspan) then @colspan else 1)"/>
<xsl:variable name="row" select="if (exists(@rowspan) then @rowspan else
1)"/>
<xsl:value-of select="concat('<cStart:',$row,',',$col,'>')"/>
<xsl:apply-templates/>
<xsl:value-of select="'<cEnd:'"/>
<xsl:if test="exists(@colspan)">
<xsl:value-of select="for $x in (1 to @colspan-1) return
'<cStart:1,1><cEnd:>'"/>
</xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

The template above generates empty cell markers based on the value of $col along the same row, because it is for the colspan. My problem is generating the empty cell markers for the rowspan. For example:

<row>
<cell col="1" rowspan="3">Data</cell>
<cell col="2">Data</cell>
<cell col="3">Data</cell>
<cell col="4">Data</cell>
<cell col="5">Data</cell>
</row>
<row>
<cell col="2" rowspan="2">Data</cell>
<cell col="3">Data</cell>
<cell col="4">Data</cell>
<cell col="5">Data</cell>
</row>
<row>
<cell col="3">Data</cell>
<cell col="4">Data</cell>
<cell col="5">Data</cell>
</row>

If i'm processing the 1st cell in the 2nd row, i must first insert an empty cell marker before it because the cell above it spans to 3 rows. Same goes for the 1st cell in the 3rd row only i must still add another empty marker before it because of the rowspan on the 1st cell in row 2. I having trouble referencing the preceding cellm element that span the particular row so that i can generate the corresponding empty cell markers. I tried using preceding::cell[1] but with i can't reference the other rowspan.

Can someone help me with generating the empty cells for row spanning?

Thanks,
Jeff