RE: [xsl] Difference between XSL and XSLT

Subject: RE: [xsl] Difference between XSL and XSLT
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:34:54 -0000

Personally, I avoid using the term XSL because it means different things to
different people.

* For historical reasons some people use XSL to mean XSLT;

* Microsoft historically used XSL to mean the WD-xsl language, an early
approximation to XSLT; when both languages were in use they used the terms
"XSL" and "XSLT" to distinguish them

* Some people use XSL to mean what most of us call XSL-FO, because if you
look at the XSL-FO spec (http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/) you find that its title
is "Extensible Stylesheet Language (XSL)" - although when you read on, you
see that it says

<quote>
This specification defines the features and syntax for the Extensible
Stylesheet Language (XSL), a language for expressing stylesheets. It
consists of two parts:

   1. a language for transforming XML documents, and
   2. an XML vocabulary for specifying formatting semantics.
</quote>

which isn't actually true, because this spec doesn't define the features and
syntax of part (1) at all; and within the rest of the XSL-FO spec, the term
"XSL" is generally used to mean what the rest of the world calls XSL-FO.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/