RE: [xsl] Re: Language-specific output

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: Language-specific output
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 17:00:55 -0000

> I am really liking the validation-in-the-background feature of the
> new oXygen. In particular, I'm liking the way syntactically malformed
> XPath expressions (or pseudo-XPath since they're malformed) just
> "light up" on their own, rather than just lurking till runtime before
> I discover I have one too few closing parentheses.

Perhaps a clearer distinction is needed between what compiler folks call
syntactic and semantic errors: in particular, referring to
functions/variables/templates/types that don't exist (yet) is classified as
a semantic error. Since in XSLT all of these can be forwards references
anyway, it's not just references to things declared in other modules that
are relevant, but forwards references to things in the same module.

A bit of subtle colouring for the dangling references could alert the user
to their existence without implying that the thing won't run.

Michael Kay