[xsl] Optimization/error reporting: cardinality checks & function calls

Subject: [xsl] Optimization/error reporting: cardinality checks & function calls
From: Frans Englich <frans.englich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:11:08 +0000

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused about errors & optimizations in XPath/XQuery
implementations, perhaps someone could help me clear it.

2.3.4 Errors and Optimization in XML Path Language (XPath) 2.0 says that
implementations are free to perform arbitrary optimizations(such as skipping
evaluation of somekind) as long as 1) The result is identical to when not
being optimized, except for that errors are possibly not reported; and 2)
that cardinality errors are still reported.

Section 2.3.4 uses the term "expression", and I presume functions are
applicable to that discussion(functions are expressions).

Further, in 3.1.5 Function Calls, one can read this:

<quote>
Argument expressions are evaluated, producing argument values. The order of
argument evaluation is implementation-dependent and a function need not
evaluate an argument if the function can evaluate its body without evaluating
that argument.
</quote>

I think the understanding is meant to be that an implementation is free to
skip "evaluation" of an argument, and that the cardinality check is also free
to be skipped if the argument as a whole has been skipped.

Am I right in my interpretation?

Cheers,

		Frans