RE: [xsl] How do I not ignore whitespace when sorting?

Subject: RE: [xsl] How do I not ignore whitespace when sorting?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:37:19 -0000

Collating sequences in XSLT 1.0 are entirely implementation-defined. There's
a strong suggestion in the spec that the system should choose a collation
appropriate to the natural language in use. Conventions for handling spaces
and punctuation within the strings to be sorted are notoriously variable,
but ignoring spaces is quite common, and certainly not incorrect: if I look
up "ad hoc" in a dictionary, I expect to find it between "adhesive" and
"adieu".

In 2.0 there's a more formal mechanism for identifying the collation you
want to be used, but it's still essentially implementation-defined what
collations are available with a particular product.

You might find that a pragmatic solution is to use translate() to modify the
characters in the string before sorting.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/