Re: [xsl] Winddings, symbol etc

Subject: Re: [xsl] Winddings, symbol etc
From: Jon Gorman <jonathan.gorman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:40:01 -0500

> Hi Jon,

Just a hint, you probably don't want to specifically address me.  I'm
not an expert in this stuff, but I do know some of the basic info that
people trying to help you will need to give you any useful advice.

> Windows XP
> FOP
> Saxon parser
> RTF documents using my own RTF to XSL converter (still in development).

So....... you're translating RTF -> XSL-FO -> pdf?  How does Saxon
processor come into play? (parser isn't quite the right word here)

Like the others have recommended I'd try using Unicode mappings
instead of the extended ASCII tables.  You may need to alter your
converter to do so.  Might be easy or not depending on how the
converter is set up.

The FOP FAQ (http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/faq.html) had some
stuff on character issues.  I've had problems on this front and it can
be frustrating as heck.  You may need to prepare to dig into the
actual hex at several points along the way to figure out what is
happening to the character sets.  It also has some things on embedding
fonts.  People with more publishing experience probably have a much
easier time with it.

And it's always possible in the end that your font that ends up in the
pdf document doesn't support those characters.

Hopefully some other watchful eye on this list will be able to give
you better advice.

Jon Gorman