RE: [xsl] Need help using variable in select statement

Subject: RE: [xsl] Need help using variable in select statement
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:11:20 +0100

Variables in XPath represent values, they don't (like macro variables in a
shell language) represent bits of text to be inserted textually into an
expression.

To evaluate an XPath expression read at run-time from a source document, use
an xx:evaluate() expression if your XSLT processor offers one. This can't be
done in pure XSLT without extensions. Namespace prefixes can make it messy
even with extensions.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/