Re: [xsl] Converting Word document to PDF (with FOP)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Converting Word document to PDF (with FOP)
From: "Jay Bryant" <jay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:39:44 -0500

Hi, Jonas,

I often convert XML to PDF via FOP. I have created the DTD and XSLT files
needed to create software manuals, white papers, data listings, and many
others. FOP can create just about any document, so long as you work within
its limitations. As with many things (including XSLT), people get frustrated
and think FOP is a bad tool when they expect it to conform to their way of
thinking. If you instead accommodate its way of doing things, it works fine
and can be quite powerful (I produce 2000-page data listings with it). I
have not needed columns, but I have no doubt that I could get FOP to do it.
Many of the books I produce use images, though, and FOP handles them well.
FOP also handles SVG, which can be quite useful for certain tasks.

If you have more specific questions, let me know, either here or privately.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services