[xsl] XPATH total count of multiple child nodes

Subject: [xsl] XPATH total count of multiple child nodes
From: "Edward Bryant" <bryant_edward@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 12:22:59 -0500

Thanks everyone for the helpful answers to my previous question on character entities.

My new problem is that I am trying to build a conditional statement based on a count of the number of child elements. There is an element "dates" that contains child elements containing particular dates. Normally, I would use something like:

Check if any of them exisit at all...

<xsl:if test="(filed) or (decided) or (submitted) or (revised) or (term)">

then, see if there is more than one of them ...

<xsl:if test="count(date) > 1">

However, the child elements do not all have the same name. They can have one of five different names (filed, decided, submitted, revised, or term), which may appear in almost any combination. There are no other child elements, so I was hoping there was a simple way to count the total number of child elements without specifying them by name?