RE: [xsl] character entities

Subject: RE: [xsl] character entities
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 16:19:12 +0100

> If that were true, it would be fine with me. I am not trying
> to output
> character references just for the sake of doing it. I was under the
> impression that I should try to do it because some browsers
> would have a
> problem with UFT-8 encoded data. Specifically, articles such
> as this one at
> A List Apart:
>
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/emen/

The article is nearly four years old, and I think that the browsers it is
referring to were old then. (It doesn't name them, so one can't verify the
information.)

Sure, if you need to work with ancient and buggy browsers, use <xsl:output
encoding="iso-646"/>. Just don't try to generate the numeric references
yourself by hand. (And don't expect ancient and buggy browsers to get it
right even then.)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/