Re: [xsl] breaking string into substrings or arrays

Subject: Re: [xsl] breaking string into substrings or arrays
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:56:02 +0100

> In my project I am dealing with at least 10 delimeters ?

If you don't need to do different things for different delimiters, then:

The XPath2 tokenize function allows the delimiter to be specified by a
regular expression, so in that case you can just specify whatever you
want, eg ^[a-zA-Z]+ for any run of non (ascii) letters being a
delimiter.

If using xslt1 substring function it's easier to normalise first:
<xsl:variable name="x" select="normalize-space(translate(Value,',;.[]','     '))"/>
would give a value of $x as
"Alpha Beta Gamma Alpha Beta"
given your posted input, which you then pass to an XSLT1 tokenizing
template.

David

http://www.star.net.uk