Re: [xsl] XSLT for usable yet valid XHTML

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT for usable yet valid XHTML
From: Robert Koberg <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:02:39 -0700

David Carlisle wrote:
I suppose I should have snipped more. I was referring to the part about needing a client side transformation.

If you send the file as application/xml then it _does_ need a client
side stylesheet or IE will use it's default stylesheet for XML files
which is the javascript folding tree view, which is cute but often not
the intended rendering of xhtml. Mozilla though will parse it as XML and
render it as XHTML (even without a specified stylesheet).

If you send the file as text/html then it doesn't need (and can't have)
a stylesheet but it goes straight to the html parser so things like
give errors unless they really can't avoid it.

OK. I stopped reading when I saw the requirement for a client-side transformation. I should have read the whole post or at least the next para that said:

"Howver there are reasons for still using text/html (and so relying on
the non existant error reporting to let XML syntax slip past an HTML
parser)"

sorry,
-Rob

David