RE: [xsl] Testing 2 XML documents for equality - a solution

Subject: RE: [xsl] Testing 2 XML documents for equality - a solution
From: Mukul Gandhi <mukul_gandhi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:02:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi Mike,
  Please read my response below your comments..

> No, you need to sort on the attribute name. Two
> attributes can have the same
> value in which case their respective order is still
> unpredictable.

Oh sorry! this was an oversight..

> > *I feel my stylesheet caters to a large subset of
> > Canonical XML definition (I guess about 70-90%).
> Can
> > you please comment on my this claim? *
>
> I've no idea what the claim means. Are you saying
> that your algorithm will
> give the same answer as a canonicalized comparison
> 70%-90% of the time? If
> not, what are you saying?

Canonical XML spec defines certain rules to convert
original XML to canonical form. Canonical XML is a
better way to represent XML for comparison purpose..
It takes into account things like attribute ordering,
character encoding etc..
I meant that, if we assume 2 XML documents that are
being compared will have same character encoding and
some other subtle things are same(sorry I am not
deeply knowledgeable about canonical spec, so I cannot
express these subtle things; but I guess there are
number of such things) , then my algorithm will be
70-90% as reliable as canonical comparison ;)

Regards,
Mukul