Re: [xsl] XSLt in RDBMs engine? (was XML to Database Inserts via XSLT)

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLt in RDBMs engine? (was XML to Database Inserts via XSLT)
From: Chris_Graham@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:38:12 +1100

> Does Oracle have an XSLt engine embedded in the database
> engine itself?  When it comes down to it, that's the tool
> I'm really looking for... :-)
>
> I know postgres allows you to store/query XML data *within*
> a data field in the database... but I'm looking to actually
> treat the database itself like an XML document.... and have
> the stylesheet evaluate xpath expressions inside the database
> engine, thereby avoiding having to copy data out of the
> database and then throw 99.9% of it away before the presentation
> layer.
>
> I've really done a lot of looking around for this kind of
> solution before... posting here is just kind of a last-gasp
> attempt on my part.... I'm designing a rewrite of a decent
> sized software project, and if something like this exists,
> I want to use it.. :-)

DB2 with the XML extender (std with V8 but available with V7) does this
also.

You can have XML column types that embed an entire XML document in it, or
call a stored proc to shred XML into regular/normal columns or call a
stored proc to execute a query and have XML returned.

If you look under the covers, it is using Xalan/Xerces (in C++). I've only
just started playing with it, so I can not comment on exactly how fast it
is.

I am looking at combining it with the MQ listener to have an XML based
message placed on an MQ queue and have DB2 automatically pull it off the
queue and insert it into a normal table ('though  could put the XML msg
itself into an XML column).

-Chris

This email contains information confidential to AAMI Limited. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information in it. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email, and delete this email and any attached documents.
AAMI Limited is not responsible for any changes made to a document other than those made by AAMI Limited or for the effect of the changes on the document meaning.