Re: [xsl] Separating XSLT 1 and 2 help?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Separating XSLT 1 and 2 help?
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:06:58 -0500

At 11:53 AM -0600 3/1/05, Pieter Reint Siegers Kort wrote:
Lately I've been thinking (more and more) that it would IMO be a good idea
to separate XSLT 1 and XSLT 2 help on this list host, something like adding
a second list xslt2-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, where specific XSLT 2
questions could be asked.

I both agree and disagree.

I agree that it is helpful to know if a question is specifically
about XSLT 2, and in the future when there is more XSLT 2 it will
be helpful to know if a question is specifically about XSLT 1.
(My opinion is that XSLT 1.0 will not be replaced by XSLT 2.0 in
the near future, and that we will continue to see discussions of
both for quite a while).

So, I will add a note to the XSL-List guidelines suggesting that
people specify the version of XSLT in their questions if they know
or care.

I disagree with the suggestion that they be separate lists. Many
XSLT questions are generic to XSLT (how many discussions have we
had about variables, and push versus pull? a new version of
XSLT will not affect basics like this at all). And many people -
especially newcomers - don't know what version of XSLT or of XPath
they are using or that there are (or is it will be?) more than one.

Just as I don't see a benefit in separating discussion of XSLT and
XSL-FO (many FO questions have XSLT solutions) I don't think there
is a net gain is separating discussions of XSLT and/or XPath 1.0 and 2.0.

-- Tommie

(OH - and no, we at Mulberry have no plans to start an XQuery list,
although we will be happy to announce one if someone else does.)

B. Tommie Usdin mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com 17 West Jefferson Street Phone: 301/315-9631
Suite 207 Direct Line: 301/315-9634
Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML