Re: [xsl] which is faster?

Subject: Re: [xsl] which is faster?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 12:18:31 GMT

without a sample input we can't run the thing so you'll have to be more
explicit in your description.

> This line of code is messing the whole thing up.

generates error message?
generates wrong output?
Causes your machine to reboot?

> otherwise when I try to load data from
> it, and it doesn't exist, the whole stylesheet ceeses to work.

using document() on a document that doesn't exist is a recoverable error
in XSLT (unfortunately). The system can either generate an error (and
stop) or return an empty node set in which case your xsl:if will test
false and work as you expect. So you'll need to check your system#s
documentation to see what it does in this case.

Some systems (eg saxon) it's a user configurable option what the system
does on recoverable errors.

There is no portable way in XSLT to test for the existence of a file.

David

http://www.star.net.uk