RE: [xsl] Matching text nodes with only whitespaces

Subject: RE: [xsl] Matching text nodes with only whitespaces
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:42:48 -0000

> I need to write a template matching text nodes, which just consit of
> multiple whitespaces (tabs in most cases).
> I cant't use normalize-space since I need leading and tailing
> whitespaces in some cases.
> I suppose matches() would help me here, but I actually don't
> know how to
> formulate the regular expression for that.

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but...

If you want to match a text node that consists entirely of whitespace you
can use

xsl:template match="text()[normalize-space()='']"

The value of "." inside the template rule will still be the original text
node; testing its value using normalize-space does not modify the contents
of the node.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/