Re: [xsl] SVG and Presentations at XML 2004

Subject: Re: [xsl] SVG and Presentations at XML 2004
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 11:40:23 -0500

At 08:46 PM 12/2/2004, Bruce wrote:
BTW, has anyone done anything with XSLT and the new slideshow system from Eric Meyers?

http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

It's really excellent, using a single file for an entire presentation, and doing everything with CSS and Javascript.

Nope: but XSLT slideware is nothing new.

True, but I've never been impressed enough with any of them to bother to use them.

Maybe not, but at least to their creators they're useful; and one of the lessons of being able to do it yourself is the discovery that no, your requirements are not exactly like everyone else's, and now you can please yourself and scratch just your particular itch, instead of being shoehorned into someone else's notion of what you want to do.

It's a bit discouraging, BTW, to see the sad state of SVG on the client end. I just went to the Adobe page and note they've not released a new Mac OS X binary in three years!!!

Oh I don't know. I see it has a glass-half-full thing, and do not presume to judge. Software development is challenging, complicated work, and the development of technical specs no less, and it's understandable if a big vendor plays with cards close to the chest. Maybe it's just that my time frame is a little more extended than most -- to me, five years seems like hardly any time at all, considering what we're trying to achieve here.

Cheers,
Wendell

Bruce