Re: [xsl] The case of the mysteriously corrupted XSL transformation (ARRGH)

Subject: Re: [xsl] The case of the mysteriously corrupted XSL transformation (ARRGH)
From: Anton Triest <anton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:57:52 +0100

Hello Wong Chin Shin,

I think the problem is in javascript, not in the XSL. When I open AddPage.xml in Firefox, I get a blank page just like you say, and the JavaScript Console reports several js errors:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER) [nsIDOMNSHTMLDocument.write]" nsresult: "0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)" location: "JS frame :: http://www.nascencetech.com/recruitexpressmy/fckeditor/fckeditor.js :: anonymous :: line 53" data: no]

(JavaScript Console is in the Firefox Tools menu)

When I make a local copy of your xml and xsl (without the javascript files) I do get the form displayed in FF:
it still reports a few javascript errors but not the uncaught exception.

This fckeditor is some kind of "on-the-fly HTML editor", right?
Line 53 of fckeditor.js:

document.write( '<div>' ) ;

A wild guess: this javascript code is trying to write something to the output document;
that will work fine on a "real" document but apparently not on the result of an XSL transform...

That would also explain why the static file (XSLOutput.html) displays correctly.

HTH,
Anton

Wong Chin Shin wrote:

Hi,

Behind that miserable attempt at email subject humor, there a whole lotta
suffering going on. In between my efforts to debug my XSL transformation,
validate my transformed HTML and ensure cross-browser compatibility, I
managed to screw up my entire transformation on Firefox.

The XML file is at
http://www.nascencetech.com/recruitexpressmy/webadmin/AddPage.xml
The XSL file is at
http://www.nascencetech.com/recruitexpressmy/xsl/webadmin.xsl

Nothing appears when I load AddPage.xml on Firefox. Zilch, nada. Works a
treat on IE though.

So I used XMLSpy to do a manual transform and tried to view the output as a
static HTML file. Firefox displays the static html perfectly. I also
validated the resultant code as valid HTML 4.01. The static file can be
found at:
http://www.nascencetech.com/recruitexpressmy/webadmin/XSLOutput.html

So, I guess somehow, something's wrong with my XSL or XML file such that FF
rejects it? How, I'm not sure...

My clues:
I had been screwing with a few XML/XSL editors the past couple of days.
Tried XMLSpy, Treebeard, JEdit amongst others. Yesterday, I had errors
transforming the XML using Treebeard and JEdit, saying that there was
content in the prolog. I read that this error shows that there's a character
before the XML declaration tag. Also read that using certain editors would
insert some "BOM" character as the first char of an XML file. Not sure if
this was the problem but at that time both FF and IE still managed to do the
transformation.

Well, that's where my debugging efforts landed me so far. If there's anybody
who can verify if I somehow corrupted my XML/XSL file, I would be much
obliged. The guys here have been terrific in giving advice, I learned much
over the past 3 weeks (a bit of shoe-polishing never hurt, heh).

Oh, please do not try to submit the form, I haven't gotten that far yet :P

Thanks
Wong