Re: [xsl] Dynamic XPath expression (I know it doesnt work in XSLT1.0)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Dynamic XPath expression (I know it doesnt work in XSLT1.0)
From: Matt Dittbenner <mbditt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:38:37 -0500

Thanks a lot!
We were not aware of that syntax and that solved the issue.

One correction. The code that we needed is a little different than what you have below. It should be:
----
<xsl:copy-of select="saxon:evaluate(concat('$p1', $path), $contentDoc)"/>
----

Thanks!
Matt

Michael Kay wrote:

One of the challenges in defining an evaluate() function is determining what
the evaluation context should be. In Saxon, variables that are not
referenced anywhere in the stylesheet disappear completely at compile time
(I've seen stylesheets that import a module that defines 100 global
variables of which only three are used). I didn't want to keep extra
overhead around at run-time just in case someone decides to use
saxon:evaluate to access it, so I decided that stylesheet variables would
not be part of the context for the dynamic expression.

Instead you can pass explicit parameters:

<xsl:copy-of select="saxon:evaluate(concat('$contentDoc', $p1), $path)"/>

This binds $p1 within the expression to the second argument of
saxon:evaluate, whose value is the value of $path.

Full details at
http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/extensions/functions/evaluate.html

Michael Kay